Many of you know us well because you are our friends and family, but many of you are new to us and may not know Whitney that well. So I thought I would introduce her to you a little better and give you 5 reasons to celebrate her today – the day of her birth!
- Whitney was my first big answer to prayer. I prayed for several years for a sibling. Now I know that my mom was struggling with the same fertility issues that Whitney and I have, but at that age I just thought it wasn’t happening. So I prayed and prayed for a sister. When she came along, I just knew that God had flat out given what I had asked for so many times. It confirmed for me that God is real and He answers prayers. I loved her from the very first minute. At seven years old, I thought I was given a real live baby doll.
- Whitney has always been daring and bold. She may run the gamut of interests – from speaking in front of thousands, to basketball and sports to pageants and glam – she isn’t afraid to put herself out there and take a chance. She’s been like that since she was a child. One of my favorite stories to tell was when she was maybe 4 years old, she and a friend were jumping on the trampoline and he went inside to get a pair of scissors. Whitney let him cut her hair – well one side of it. She spent the next year or so with a side bow to cover it up.
- She’s stubborn. While this may not have always been a trait I liked about her as a kid (i.e. many fights along the way because she wants her way), it is such a trait that I admire in her as an adult. She is NOT swayed. She knows who she is, what she stands for, and what she wants. You could spend your last breath convincing her and she won’t budge. You definitely want her on your side because like a gladiator, she stands tall and firm and strong. I love that about her and long to be more like that.
- She’s extremely cool…er “on fleek”…er “goals.” I don’t know the correct terminology (confession – I googled both of those terms), but Whitney is definitely it! She helps keep me somewhat current because she is in the know about all things pop culture. I would not be able to keep up if it were not for her. And she is funny – I mean extremely quick-witted type of funny. We have a really good time.
- She’s super loyal. She is always there for me. She gets me and was raised like me. I don’t always have to explain the stories because she was there. She’s been a shoulder to cry on, my lifelong cheerleader, a fantastic babysitter (read best aunt in the world), a partner in crime and a bestie that is the most fun. We can just read each other’s minds. Because of that we work really well together. Baby shower, wedding, packing a house, decorating – you name it we rock it. We are a great team. And I know I am not the only one that feels this way about her.
Whitney is someone that once you meet her, you never forget her. She is one of a kind…a unicorn. I cannot think of anyone that wouldn’t say that their life is better because she is in it. I’m so grateful to call her my sister and best friend. I love watching her love our Lord and seeking to serve Him in all that she does. She may be a year older, but she is just on the precipice of what HUGE plans He has for her. He doesn’t waste skill sets and personality traits like this on someone who plans to sit on the bench of life. I am so proud to call you my sister and it is definitely my joy to celebrate you today.
Happy Birthday, Whitney! I love you more than you will ever know.
PS…can you tell we have a “side” when taking pictures?? Who knows what happened at Disney? Maybe we were just exhausted..